The story of Maymont began in 1893, when a wealthy Richmond couple, James and Sallie Dooley, completed their elaborate Gilded Age estate on a site high above the James River. Upon their deaths and according to their wishes, Maymont - including its architectural complex, the 100-acre landscape, and a collection of exquisite furnishings - was left to the people of Richmond. In 1975, the Maymont Foundation assumed the role of manager, promoter and developer of Maymont under terms of an agreement and contract with the property owner, the City of Richmond. The Maymont Foundation seeks to preserve and celebrate Maymont as a museum and park for the pleasure and education of everyone.
1000 Westover Road
Richmond, VA 23220